Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 5

Sunday morning, I hear my phone going off and all I could think was..."Whoever is calling me better be on fire, because I am SLEEPING for once this week.  And if you are on fire, you really need to call 911, not me!"  Our apartment was pitch black and I had no clue what time it was, nor did I care.  I was tired, and all I wanted was to sleep and someone keeps calling.  I crawl out of bed and finally get to the phone and hear Scott's perky little voice on the other end.  Why in the he** are you calling me, and why in the he** are you so perky?  After he fills me in on the actual time, which is now 10am, he tells me to hurry up and get to the hospital Rhett is sitting up!!!!  (In my defense, it felt like 6am and daylight savings was thrown in there...so who really knew what time it was.  And did I mention it was pitch black in our apt???)  I don't think I have slept until 10 am in 5 years,but it felt good!!!  So, I drag my lazy butt out of bed and head to the hospital.
Good news, good news!  Dr. G says Rhett can be released if we are comfortable taking him home today.  I was a little hesitant, I mean I just learned how to change his diaper yesterday and let's be honest here...I suck at it.  What if I am not capible of taking care of him?  Am I smart enough to know when there is a problem and when I am just being paranoid?  What if I hurt him...I can't really even hold him and move.  I still haven't successfully picked him up without hurting him...oh crap this is not going to work!  What is the number to the tethered cord recovery hotline or can I just take Rhett's favorite nurse, Jess home with me???  Don't think for a second Scott did not ask if she would come home with us.  So maybe when I said a little hesitant, I was completely full of crap...I was completely hesitant and basically scared to death.  I come from a long line of tough cookie's and I am now scared of a 21 lb tiny person...what is wrong with this picture?  I am going soft in my old age.  What would my grandmother say about this weakness???  I know exactly what she would say, and it would most likely be that I am this child's mother and it is my job to take care of him, so suck it up and get with the program. 
Scott and I agreed we would see how the day went and how Rhett was doing with sitting up etc.  Well we quickly found out Mr. Rhett was doing just fine and dandy.  He was sitting up perfectly, he was having a blast cruising the halls in his stroller going on rounds with his nurse, Noel (still just in his diaper) and he now had a high chair in his room for the special lunch the lady in the cafeteria prepared for him.  She decided she would just go ahead and puree butternut squash and a banana for him, because she just knew he would love it.  This is like a 5 star hospital!  He has charmed all of these people in this hospital with his sweet little smile and chunky little cheeks...imagine what kind of little con man he would be if he could talk (he would be Reid LOL).  He seemed to be feeling much better!  After lunch, I finally got him down for a nap when our fabulous neighbors begin to assault each other while using lovely language completely inappropriate for a children's hospital.
Have I mentioned our new neighbors???  Well let me fill you in...  When Nova was released to go home, we were given the pleasure of sharing a room with Massachusetts finest!  It was a lovely family consisting of a 3 mth old baby, his 18 yr old parents, the grandmother and great grandmother.  Now, when the grandmothers were present, all was well...but when the grandmothers were away the kids would try and kill each other!  The baby was there for seizures,  so one would think the 18 yr old parents could put aside their dispute about what happened at the bowling alley 2 nights ago...but no, that wasn't the case.  Just as Rhett is good and asleep...here these two meatheads go after it, yelling and screaming at each other.  Then suddenly,  "Baby Daddy" decides he is done and he is leaving (with no shoes on his feet I should add).  Next thing I know, Rhett is screaming, she is yelling and running after "Baby Daddy" ,and their baby is in his crib crying.  Are you freaking kidding me?  Sometimes I think the freaks seek me out.  So I call the nurse to come in and fill her in on what happened.  I told her they had just had a "knock down, drag out fight..." and she looks at me confused and says "A What?"  So I say it again but slower this time, "a knock down, drag out fight".  She stills looks confused.  "Haven't you ever heard that?"  I say as if she seriously needs to get a clue.  She has absolutely no idea what I am talking about, so I explain as she is laughing at me. 
The two love birds finally make it back to the room and apparently have not made up,because as soon as the nurse finishes interrogating them and leaves...here they go again.  I wanted so badly to intervene with a little Dr. Phil action and tell them both to "shut the front door...you need to suck up and pipe down!"...but the nosey-rosey in me took over.  I had to hear where this was going before breaking up the madness.  It was like a train wreck, you know you should look, but you just have to.  So they proceed with the yelling and apparently one of our young parents hit the other.  Mom beat up Dad and Dad is "gonna call the cops and have her arrested in the middle of the hospital" as he so graciously put it.  Let me tell you what, first of all I would never physically assualt my husband (or in her case Baby Daddy) much less do it in a public setting!  Second, if I were her, I would give him a reason to call the cops and have me arrested (that is if he still had fingers to dial 911)...this guy is a punk and probably deserved whatever she gave him.  Baby Daddy had not shut his loud mouth since he got there, it was a constant stream of yelling, and the king daddy of bad words.  Too bad when she hit him, it wasn't in the throat! (That wasn't nice of me to say...Oh well)
So when Scott walked in, I filled him in on the Jerry Springer Show I just had front row seats to and asked him if I should go tell the nurse they were at it again.  If they hadn't been so loud and dramatic, I probably would have not said anything.  But they kept waking Rhett up, which if you have a tiny baby, you completly understand the rage I was experienceing.  Number 1 Rule:  NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY, it never ends well!  So I go tell the nurse the latest in their saga and she told me they had an idea of what was going on and had called social services to intervene.  Well, this answered my question on whether we will be checking out of Hotel California...yes...let's get those discharge papers rolling!  And make it snappy
Rhett was officially a free man!  We checked out and were on our way home to our comfy little apartment.  Dr. G wanted to see Rhett on Wed to do a check-up and we would go from there on how long she would keep us in town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment