Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day3

Friday morning rolled around and I was on my way back to the hospital.  I would just like to add that by Friday, I had become quite the Boston driver.  Not only do I know where I am going, I drive like every other Bostonian…I DO NOT obey ANY traffic laws (other than yielding to Pedestrians of course), I honk at anybody or anything that gets in my way (this is a great stress reliever btw), and most importantly I stop in the middle of the road when there is no where to park and put my hazards on.  I actually saw a Boston Police car parked in the middle of the road and the copper was walking into Boloco.  That would be like stopping in the middle of Hulen to go into Snookie’s because the parking lot is full.  Who does this?  Boston PD that’s who.  So it is raining, it is cold and I have learned to drive like what kind of driver I envision Reid would be, if I gave him the keys to my car and told him to tear a**. 
I get to the hospital to find that Rhett has decided he is going to make some sort of escape from his bed, and has attempted to CRAWL!!!  Who is this kid & what is he thinking???  CRAWL???  You just had major back surgery dude and you haven’t even been able to sit up, you can’t even lay on you back….but you think you can crawl???  So out came the Morphine…yet again.  We were trying to wean him off the heavy stuff and here you go trying to crawl and now you are in some serious pain!!!  This would also be the last bit of Morphine Mr. Rhett would be getting, due to the fact that he ripped his IVs out of his arm.  If I didn’t know any better, I would think he was planning his big escape.   Not only that, but I learned Scott has now been given the title of “The Dad who doesn’t wake up”…awesome I know!  This is what happens when I leave the hospital for one night and put Scott in charge!!!
That morning, Scott went to the office and Rhett and I prepared for a long day.  Dr. G gave the go ahead for Rhett to move on to his back.  We were slowly making progress here.  Fever was dropping; we were down to just a mild fever.  Pain was under control, we were now just doing Tylenol and Codeine and we were starting to gain a little bit of our appetite back.  Slowly but surely, he was improving and my little tiny baby was becoming the rambunctious little animal I am used to.  
After sitting in a hospital room day after day, I was realizing Rhett needed some excitement.  I had brought his favorite toys for him to play with and his favorite blankies to make him feel more at home.  I figured if I was tired of looking at this boring room, I knew he would be too, so I decided I would pep this joint up a little.  I made a mobile with some of his toys out of the thingy they hang the IV bags on…much better!  At least now when he is just staring at the ceiling there will be something to look at.  Next thing I know the delivery guy is knocking on my door with a LOAD of balloons and a giant teddy bear.  HOLY COW, I should not even question who these are from.  If you know my Mom, you know she is an over achiever and her motto is “It’s not done ‘til it is OVER DONE!”…and it of course was overdone.  I was worried if I tied the balloons to his bed, he might start to float.  I open the card and just as I suspected…Mimi, Pee Paw & Reid!  Rhett immediately began to perk up.  He was loving these balloons; he began jabbering and laughing at them.  Way to go Mimi!  Rhett’s roommate Nova was quite impressed herself, so of course Rhett shared with her, he is such a good guy!  It is amazing how a simple balloon can make a kid’s day.  A friend of mine from college, sent flowers and it is amazing how much they brightened my day!  Rhett’s room was now officially the best room on 9NW.  Between the Martha Stewart IV mobile, the beautiful flowers and the balloons…this place was starting to become less like prison and more like Rhett’s new home! 
On a side note, I have to tell you about our new friend Nova.  She is 14 months old and on her 7th surgery.  She has been at CHB this stay for 15 days.  She has Pfeiffer Syndrome.  See link below:
Basically, they are rebuilding her skull, face etc…  Can you imagine 7 surgeries in 14 months?  She spent her 1st Birthday in the hospital having surgery.  The majority of her life, she has been in a hospital…I couldn’t even imagine what that is like.  The mother, also named Elizabeth, has the best attitude about the whole situation.  They found out toward the end of her pregnancy about Nova’s condition, what to expect and they have just rolled with it.  I wish I could have her patience and calm personality.  This has been torture and she has had to go through it 7 times and most likely 15 more surgeries are in her future.
I am starting to realize just how lucky Rhett really is…

No comments:

Post a Comment