Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A typical day

So we arrived at the house the hospital provides for families who travel long distances to stay in while their children are being treated at CHB.  We will just say we arrived and the next day we departed.  Luckily we found an apartment off Newbury Street, here in the city.  They had a studio apartment available right then, so Scott cut a deal with them and it was only a little bit more than we were paying to live in the “Hospital Dorm” to now be in a comfortable apartment in a great part of town, so I was sold.  Day 5, move #5…I may never move again!    I have never gotten thing packed up so quickly in my life.  If you didn’t know better, you would have thought I was evading the law.  I could not get out of there fast enough and into my new place.   When Rhett is released from the hospital and Reid arrives in Boston, we will move to a larger apartment…so I take that back, I will be moving yet again, but at least we are moving up!  So after the living situation was squared away and we collected the keys to our new casa, we made a mad dash to the hospital for Rhett’s pre-op appointment.
Once again, we arrive and Rhett is starting to get the hang of how to put on a show for all the nurses and doctors.  He is quite the little charmer!  We were there for 3 long hours, long miserable hours.  The pre-op area is full of fasting kids waiting to go into surgery, so no food or drink is permitted.   Of course when they tell you this, you immediately feel like you will die of thirst & starvation if you don’t eat and drink right then.  The worst part of the day was drawing blood.  Rhett’s veins were too small & the needle was too big, so there was a lot of poking, and moving the needles with no blood flow.  This was bad…this was VERY BAD!   Rhett went ballistic screaming and crying, which makes me start crying.   I couldn’t stand to see what little bit of blood was actually coming out and the fact they were hurting my little tiny baby was way more than I could handle (that and I am a little on edge and extremely sensitive right now).  After we hit the 2 try limit, the Head of Poking Sweet Little Innocent Babies and Making Them Cry (yes, this was her official title) made the decisions to stop tormenting my sweet helpless baby.  I am sure it wasn’t that bad, but Rhett and I were very upset and traumatized by the whole experience.  We finished up going over any questions, exactly what was taking place Wed and what would happen after surgery was complete.  
We check in at 7:00am, surgery is at 8:30 am.  We go back with him to get him settled in his hospital attire, speak with the doctors & nurses who will be in the operating room, sign our life away, answer more questions and then they take him back.  Dr G will identify where every nerve is located within the tumor, she will then remove as much of the tumor as possible without disturbing the nerve roots, cut away the cord, rebuild the end of his spinal cord, make sure the derma (what holds the spinal fluid) is water tight, sew him up and he is off to recovery where his Momma is impatiently waiting for him.  Sounds easy enough right??? 
So Boston being crazy isn’t enough, back home my Mom had a blow-out in my truck, Jeff locked himself out of our house (aka Ft. Knox) twice and Reid is busy “watching Uncle Jason to make sure he doesn’t steal my mommy’s stuff”.  Why he thinks Jason is a common criminal, I don’t know.   This is all in a day’s work…I told you my life was crazy!  I would also like to point out the irony, that I lock myself out of our house on a regular basis and have to call Jeff to come let me in…how funny is it that it happened to him.  They always would laugh at me, because they just couldn’t understand how someone could lock themselves out of their own house…not so funny now is it!!!
So, now we just have to get through this surgery.  My Dad flew into Boston last night, and we will be at the hospital first thing in the morning.  To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment