Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 4

So here we are Day 4 of hospital life.  Tired doesn’t even begin to describe it.  I had spent another sleepless night crouched over the side of Rhett’s crib…How on earth did Scott sleep through this?  The pain is always worse at night and I can’t figure out why that is???  It was 4am and one of the Nurses popped in to check his vitals when she told me I needed to get some rest.  Really?  What a great idea…why didn’t I think of that?  Oh that’s right, I did 2 hours ago when Jonathan, (Rhett’s weekend nurse) tried to convince me Rhett wasn’t in pain, he was just bored… when I asked for pain meds.  Well, this did not sit well with “Vitals Nurse”.  She went after Nurse Jonathan and I hear her coming down the hall behind him yelling “What good are we doing her if she is too exhausted to take care of this baby?  He needs his pain medication so they both can get some sleep!”   Finally a voice of reason!  Give the baby his drugs and while we have them out…I’ll take a double of whatever he is having!  Still, I cannot wrap my head around how Scott slept through any of this???
So day 4, we had BIG PLANS for day 4.  Rhett was supposed to sit up today.  Slowly they began to elevate his bed, and slowly I could tell he wasn’t happy.  Every time they would attempt to get him upright, he would scream.  They said it could be hurting him because they cut into his back muscles and they just weren’t ready for this much pressure, or he could be getting a headache.  We never really got upright on Day 4, so this wasn’t good, but he did seem to be feeling better.  One of the nurses brought a stroller in, so he could for a ride and get out of his room…which he loved.  Scott took him for a little stroll around the 9th floor and he was loving it.  He had one of the 30 balloons Mimi & Pee Paw sent, tied to his new wheels & he was ready to rock.  He was a free man!  A free, naked man in a stroller with balloons tied all around it.  He refused to wear his clothes; he was only participating if he could go in his diaper…if only I had a picture of this sight!  This child is a mess…wonder where he gets his stubborn personality???
That afternoon, we noticed the little boy next door to us wasn’t doing well and most likely would not make it through the night.  Scott was telling me there were probably 100 visitors in and out of his room all day and it didn’t look good.  I couldn’t help but think how horrible that must feel.  When we returned to the hospital after dinner, I went into Rhett’s room and he was gone.  I walked back out to check and see if I was in the right room and it said “Wyss 903” on the wall…ok???  My heart sank into my stomach and all I could think is “Where is Rhett?  What happened? Is he OK?  The little boy next to us passing away flashes into my mind…”Oh my gosh…WHAT HAPPENED?”  I took off running to the Nurse’s Station in a panic.  Did someone steal him?  Is he hurt?  Did something happen and they had to rush him to ICU???  I get there, and all I could blurt out is “WHERE IS RHETT???”
A lady I have never seen is just looking at me. 
“Wyss…903…Rhett!  Where is he?  He is gone!  He’s not in his room!”
“Oh, you mean Moose?  He is right over there playing on the computer.”
I look over and there is my baby giggling, drooling and banging away on the keyboard…wearing nothing but his diaper.  I felt like going down to the 6th floor and checking myself in to the Cardiac ICU.  Someone needs to leave a note if they are going to highjack your kid…holy cow.  I think by this point, it is evident I am sleep deprived and need to go home and rest, before I am interrogated and start giving out national secrets.  Scott (aka The Dad Who Doesn’t Wake Up) is up to bat tonight, he will have to step up to the plate and take care of the baby. 
So the Wyss Family has left their mark at CHB.  Scott is “The Dad Who Doesn’t Wake Up”, Rhett is “Moose” and I am apparently some hillbilly from Alabama.  If it isn’t the accent I wasn’t aware that I had, (fixin’ & ya’ll isn’t in there vocab, nor is “knockdown, drag out fight”) it is the blonde hair. I have had more people point out, that I am “not from around here”, and when they figure this out (evidently as soon as I open my mouth) they have a great sense of accomplishment, like they just discovered the meaning of life.  I get it from every cashier, security guard, nurse, intern, resident, parent and random guy in the elevator….I get it already! 
The good news for the day is Scott discovered the kitchen not only has all the chocolate milk you can drink, but they also have all the ice cream you can eat!  So after reclaiming our naked, drooling, giggle box & and ice cream party; I headed to the apartment for some much needed sleep.  Until tomorrow…I am going to bed for now.  Scott, look alive, you are in charge tonight!  Poor Rhett…good luck little buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment